Celebrate Charlevoix Study Venetian 2008 Print. This is a signed print, stamped with a seal of authenticity on the back. The title and signature are on the front in a white border that frames the print image. Matting isn’t necessary, just pop in a frame. The total size of the image and border fits the standard size
The Story Behind the Art
I was honored as the “Featured” artist for the 2008 Charlevoix Venetian Festival. The image is a reproduction of a painting I did as a “study” (practice, or working out the layout) before completing the larger, original that was auctioned off. Each year they choose an artist to create an image that becomes the “image” for that year’s festival. It is printed on posters, t-shirts, and novelty items which they sell as a fundraiser for the festivities. Usually, the bulk of the activities are held right downtown on Bridge Street (the main street) but in 2006 & 2007, East Park was torn up for renovation so everything was moved to Michigan beach… including the fireworks.
This was also the last year that the lighthouse was white. The historical preservation group raised money to restore it to the original red from back in the early 1900s. I decided to be different and chose the composition for my painting to include the lighthouse with the fireworks. No one else had done that before or since. Plus, I wanted to “say goodbye” to the white on the lighthouse memorably… and publicly. It had already been decided to paint it red. “Celebrate Charlevoix!” was also my personal way of saying goodbye to the white lighthouse! So, if you purchase a copy of “Celebrate Charlevoix Study Venetian 2008 Print”, you to will be saluting the white lighthouse and celebrating it with a fireworks sendoff!
- If you haven’t been to Charlevoix the fourth week in July, you haven’t experienced the Charlevoix Venetian “tradition”! This has been going on since 1930 when it began with a simple boat parade.
- There is a whole week of activities including amusement park rides, a memorial foot race, food booths from local organizations and games for all ages.
- The little town of approximately 2500 people grows to 25000 for the festival!
- Every day and night in East Park there are bands that play. Some very famous like Foghat, War and.
- Recently the Tiki beer tent was added.
- We have a queen crowned with a beautiful court on Friday night that reigns over the parade Saturday.
- One of the largest Fireworks displays in the north is set off Friday night in Lake Charlevoix and again in Round Lake Saturday night right after the decorated boat parade. It is truly an event to behold!
- Locals have homecomings scheduled around Venetian and visitors come year after year to celebrate old friends and to make new ones.
Part of the Pure Charlevoix Collection.
PRINTS sizes 5×7, 8×10 or 11×14 fitting standard sized frames. Larger sizes may be done at special request. please email for a quote. Image may be cropped slightly from the original painting to fit standardized framing requirements. All prints are authorized by the artist and stamped with an official seal. Prints are sold unframed.
(The colors represented on your computer screen may not match the image exactly. Please be aware that all computer screens vary in color and intensity.)